One year ago today, I was admitted to the hospital with
pre-term labor. I was only 19 weeks pregnant with the triplets. It was a very scary time for us. It was a Saturday and we had friends, who were also pregnant, spending the weekend with us. I wasn't feeling well since Thursday, but I kept thinking that "it was normal." That day we went out to eat with our friends, visited several places in town, picked out a movie from the library and came home to rest. I had a hard time moving around and I took a nap during the afternoon. Later that day, Matt and I cooked our famous dish "Chicken Shrimp Sundry tomatoes Pasta" for supper. It was during supper time that I told myself "you better call the clinic and just talk to the doctor and see what he has to say." I thought, I rather be safe than sorry. I called and Dr.
VanErden was on called that night. He told me to come in to get check. I was disappointed because I was hoping he would say "don't worry about it, it's normal." But nope, that wasn't the answer I got from him. Anyway, we drove to Sioux Falls; and when we got to
Sanfornd they measured my cervix and it was VERY short. Also contractions were 5 minutes apart. The nurse told us that for sure I was going to be spending the night, yikes! So Matt drove our friends back to our house and told them to make themselves at home; then he drove back to the hospital and spent the night with me (poor guy). Our friends went back to Kansas the next morning, hoping and praying for us and our babies. Needless to say that I spent the next 10 weeks at the hospital until the babies came into this world.
The first few weeks were the hardest because my babies weren't "viable" yet. But once I hit 24 weeks, I started feeling more hopeful about the future of my babies. You probably wonder what did I do at the hospital for 10 weeks?! Well, I worry, worry, worry, cry, cry, cry, pray, pray and pray some more the entire time I was there. I was a complete different person while I was on bed rest. I was quiet, unhappy, scared, frustrated and disappointed about the whole situation. But now, I'm VERY happy and excited about the future! The big lesson I learned during that time was to trust God no matter how awful things look and not to fear the future because He will ALWAYS be with me and my family no matter what happens.
So as you all know, our babies are doing very well:) They did come very early into this world, but thanks to God and technology these days, our babies are healthy and happy little ones playing at home:)
Here are a few picture of our
NICU days.

Armando doing Kangaroo time with mommy
Arianna hanging out with a Root Beer to give you an idea of her size.
Alea doing Kangaroo time with mommy:)
Alea's little hand holding mommy's finger.
Ok. I promise next time I'll post more updated pictures, but it's interesting to go back and see how much they have grown:)
2 comments:
Digna, you have to be so proud of yourself and your family! You have come so far and you did it with such poise. All the L&D nurses I've talked to have always said that you always did what was best for your babies and unfortunately that's not always true of our NICU mom's. So I just want you to know how proud I am of you and Matt and the kiddos! You 2 are great parents and the kids are adorable and seem so happy! Congratulations again on your beautiful family!
I love your baby-butt picture - so happy you did that picture, too. I blew mine up and have it in my bedroom (I love waking up to it!). And, while I may have been giving you great encouragement a year ago when you went into the hospital, I was so scared for you all! All I did on bedrest was cry and worry, too (especially prior to viability).
And, about the header, save your image as a jpeg onto your computer. Then, when you are changing your blogger layout, use the option choosing the picture instead of the header. You will likely have to adjust the size of the picture in html code once you do this as well (Let me know if you need to adjust the size and I can help you with that, too!). Good luck!
Post a Comment